In reality, I never expected to get beyond cutting and joining the binding strips this weekend, so I’m surprised to say that the quilt edge is trimmed….
and the binding is fully attached to the front side:
Now to turn and blindstitch it to the back!
When I get a moment I’ll take and post some pictures of the gorgeous detail quilting done this weekend. Rosebuds, fans, tic-tac-toe boards, and more now embellish our quilt!
Have a great week everyone, and thanks so much for all your generous contributions!
We had such fun today! First Mary Cargill and Diane Rode Schneck came over. Then my mom, Nell Semel (with whom I have done every quilt I’ve ever finished) and Renee Fields stopped by and added several hours of stitching. Andrea Murray and Barbara Sloane joined us later, and between the seven of us, we got quite a bit of quilting done! Still, there is plenty more to do, so we are going to quilt again next Saturday, and hope you can join us at some point. We’d love you to add a few stitches to the assembled quilt, which has a communal feeling quite different from that of piecing or appliqueing a block. Even if you only have a half hour to stop by and do a tiny bit, we’d love to have you join us. If Saturday isn’t convenient, let me know if there is an evening this week that would work.
This is Diane’s lovely redwork embroidery on the bottom righthand kite.
Just in case you are wondering if this is The-Project-That-Will-Never-End, we’re hoping to have this finished by the end of next weekend. Perhaps the hand-sewing of the binding will take another day or so beyond that, but we are wrapping it up in the immediate-near-future and will email you soon with plans for a culminating celebration!
I’ve quilted half the columns in the ditch and the more I can do, the better it will look. Tomorrow I’ll lay it out on the dining room table and get some handquilting in. Please feel free to stop by and do some quilting on your block(s) or in some of the triangles – I think echo quilting in the solid triangle border would look lovely and add a nice drape to the edges.
Hoping everyone is having a lovely Thanksgiving weekend!
But not a turkey! Happily, my lovely neighbor, Roz, brought me leftovers from her son and daughter-in-law’s feast. Totally delicious, gluten-free, and way easier than making a Thanksgiving meal for myself.
So, the layers are almost entirely basted. My knees need a break, so I’ll do a few more rows in the morning.
Here’s the incredible news: the printed fabric that I bought for the backing actually made a panel big enough for the whole thing. We were pretty sure the length left on the bolt at CQ wouldn’t suffice, and I’d have to piece in some other fabric to compensate. Was kind of dreading having to figure that one out, but lo, I ended up with exactly 1.5 inches extra fabric on all four sides!
Holy cow, someone up there really likes me this weekend.
The batting is Thermore, in case you were wondering. I’ve used it for the past few quilts, so I went with the familiar and predictable. Predictable is important when operating on such a tight schedule.
Here we are, all sewn together:
You may be able to see that I haven’t sewn in the lower right kite (in the top left of this picture) because Diane and I are still working on the redwork embroidery. We’re thinking “With Infinite Gratitude, 2011” will be nice and will echo the Infinite Variety exhibit title.
The backing fabric is just out of the dryer and will be pressed and sewn up in no time. It looks like this:
Am just starting to attach the borders/kites. Here are the elements laid out next to each other on the floor:
Dining room table, that is:
Quilt top done, except for the kites and triangles. Here it is, held up by two mysterious men (whose bedhead and sleepy faces were not ready for their close-up). I’m bringing it to DJ class tomorrow night and, hopefully, Friday night, too. See you soon!